Match Reports

Dundee United 3 Queen of the South 3

14/01/2017 - Tannadice, 15:00

Dundee United: 3

Queen of the South: 3

United managed to salvage a late point  coming back from 3-1 down against Queen of the South. The home side had started the game off well taking the lead through Simon Murray with his tenth of the season but then switched off defensively for large periods in the game. A well-placed finished from Scott Fraser and a second from Murray meant a hard earned point for United who now trail Hibs by six points. Stephen Dobbie got the first goal for the visitors, followed by Joe Thomson  and Dominic Thomas on loan from Celtic and Motherwell respectively.

v QotS (H) 14.1.17

By Stewart Buick

First Half:

United couldn’t have started the game any better, taking the lead in the fourth minute through an instinctive finish from Simon Murray ten yards out after Fraser had played the ball in behind the Queen of the South defence.

There was a huge let off for the visitors when new signing Thomas Mikkelsen went through on goal and appeared to have his jersey pulled by Dowie but the referee waved away any protests. Queen of the South equalised just before the half hour mark as a free kick was floated towards the back post from Marshall whose ball was brought down by Daniel Carmichael who in turn clipped the ball across the face of the goal. Stephen Dobbie then showed great composure to fire home past Bell.

Towards the end of the first half Queen of the South keeper Lee Robinson was forced to make two impressive saves, firstly from Murray and then from Tony Andreu.

Half Time: Dundee United 1 – 1 Queen of the South

Second Half:

Just seven minutes in, the visitors went ahead after Dobbie played a through ball to Thomson who pulled away from Mark Durnan and slotted the ball home through Bell’s legs.

Gary Naysmith’s men then doubled their advantage when Thomas lashed a whipped left footed strike from 20 yards out high into the top right hand corner of the net past the diving Bell.

United then made a couple of substitutions when Charlie Telfer and Tope Obadeyi came on to replace Stuart Murdoch and the somewhat quiet Andreu.

Obedayi chased down a seemingly lost cause and managed to provide a cross that was met by Lewis Toshney whose cut back which was half cleared from the Queen of the South defence but fell very kindly to Fraser who ,12 yards out, steered a left footed shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The home team now had the momentum in the game, with the visitors sitting deeper as the game went on. McKinnon put ex Doonhamer Durnan up front in an effort to turn things round. The pressure from the home side paid off when Obedayi provided the pass across the six-yard box and Murray slotted home second of the game and his eleventh goal of the season.

The Terrors were unlucky not to sneak a winner at the death when a Durnan header was saved by a diving Robinson to his left-hand side.

Full Time: Dundee United 3 – 3 Queen of the South

United now head to Ross County away in the Scottish Cup in their next game and will be hoping that the Cup can provide a return to winning ways and a confidence lift.

The Man of the Match Award goes to Simon Murray for his two goals and for being a constant threat to the Queen of the South defence all game.


Dundee United: Bell (C), Toshney, Durnan, Edjenguele, Dixon, Fraser, Flood, Murdoch (Telfer 76), Andreu (Obedayi 60), Murray, Mikkelsen (Spittal 69)

Unused Subs: Zwick, Dillion, van der Velden, Robson

Queen of the South: Robinson, Marshall, Dowie, Brownlie, Rankin (C), Dobbie (Hamill 88), Jacobs, Thomson, Thomas, Mercer, Carmichael (Dykes 80)

Referee: Alan Muir



Dundee United Football Club
Tannadice Park, Tannadice Street,
Dundee, DD3 7JW
Telephone: 01382 833166
Fax: (01382) 889398
DUFC on Twitter
DUFC on Facebook
DUFC on Flickr